An eye catching slogan “Lose 10-15 kilograms in 30 days’’ is a fascinating promise without any scientific evidence.
Concept of Fad diets
These diets states that eating certain foods or combination of foods would do some kind of magic in our body and will speed up weight lose process. Many of us, often get trapped and do anything to fix the problem (to look or feel better). These 'diets' may provide short-term results and make us feel on the top of the world. However, the problem is, they are just unsustainable and cannot be followed lifelong.
Some Popular Fad Diets-
- Very Low Calorie Diets (VLCD/ Starvation diet)- it is consumption of 800 kcals/day or less, replacing normal solid foods with more of liquids like special shakes or bars, soups, milk etc.
- Atkins Diet- was very popular in 2000s, concept given by Dr. Robert C. Atkins of high protein & fats & low carbohydrate intake.
- Paleo Diet- includes consumption of lean meats, fish, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds and no dairy products, legumes and grains.
- Cabbage soup/ Grapefruit Diet- as the name suggests, consumption of specific food every day.
- Blood Group Type Diet- a restrictive diet plan as specific blood group requires consumption of specific food groups.
- Zone Diet- stick to a specific ratio of 40% carbohydrates, 30% protein & 30% fats.
- Ketogenic diet (Keto)- one of the most popular/searched diet in 2018 which is consumption of high fats, adequate protein and low carbohydrate.
Where does the problem lie
One of the major problem with each diet is that they are short lived and can’t keep up with
their own claimed promises. They do give immediate results like weight loss; unfortunately, it
is mostly muscle, bone or water loss & not body fat.
However, by following these kinds of diets, some people develop a pattern known as "yo-
yo" effect; it is a vicious cycle of weight loss-weight gain.
Further, many studies have reported that-
- Omitting certain foods or entire food groups can lead to nutritional deficiency
- In some diets, extra protein is recommended which can affect Kidney causing stone etc.
- Consumption of lesser calories/day required can cause Fatigue
- Weakens the immune system, body becomes more prone to infection
- Lack of fibre leads to Constipation & at times it turns to be chronic
- Dizziness & headache due to food deficiency
- Loss of fluids can cause Dehydration
- Excess of fluids (in case of liquid diet) can cause Diarrhoea
- Eating over & over same food can be boring
- Prolonged consumption of these diets can lead to deficiency of vitamin & minerals
- Prolonged deprivation from food can be fatal
- Craving sensation is a biggest challenge while following a rigid meal plan often leads to overeating
Lose the weight right way, starvation is no solution. Lean body does not always mean healthy. There is no ‘‘so called” magic 0r superfood which can melt the body fat. No pills or formula shakes/supplements can give us the desired results overnight. As there is a famous saying there is no short cut for success. Similarly, sweat it out, proper diet with exercise can do wonders.